Friday, September 26, 2008

Week 7

Definitely social book marking has enormous potential as a reference tool in the library. Looking at the AskNow site and the two library examples was really interesting and indicative of just why the 2.0 course is important in highlighting what is being developed. It must be seen as good alternative to general search engines with the ability for staff to collaborate by identifying useful resources and putting them together. No longer would I have to turn up for my once a week reference shift and not know what resources had been found by other staff for the current school assignments
Do I want to make sure my blog is being tracked by Technorati? I would like to pretend that nobody knows its there
I got the same number of hits for the standard search in Technorati as for their advanced search before trying the tag search as suggested. Had no luck with nswpln2008 until I tried the photo tab. Went back and tried “any authority” where I got 10 hits – certainly the examples were not such that I got a “wow” response to the technology.
LibraryThing – lots of fun – could spend endless hours here. This was a really full week, but finishing with LibraryThing certainly had the potential to lift the satisfaction rating.
Not so keen on the front page quote though – “poised to turn cataloguing into a form of communal recreation”

No comments: